February 15, 2012

clean eats


I made some chocolate chocolate cupcakes for our Valentines dessert last night. 
They were a little too chocolaty for me but Toph enjoyed his in the form of a vanilla ice cream cupcake sandwich. 
B ate his cupcake with ice cream and a side of more cupcake. And another one for breakfast this morning. 
Whole wheat and sugar free? Heath food!! The next coconut water, probably.

      
           Cupcakes:
           1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
           1 cup 100% cocoa powder
           1 1/2 tsp baking soda
           1/4 tsp salt
           1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
           1/4 cup honey
           1 tsp vanilla
           1/2 cup mayo
           1/4 cup greek yogurt
           1 cup milk

           Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a big bowl.
           In a smaller bowl whisk together maple, honey, vanilla, mayo and yogurt until smooth.
           Add wet mixture to dry mixture in the bigger bowl. Mix together, adding the milk until
           smooth + wet enough to easily scoop into cupcake tins. Bake in greased tins for
           15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes 16.

           Frosting:
           1/2 cup canned pumpkin
           1/4 cup 100% cocoa powder
           2 Tbsp Honey
           1/3 cup natural peanut butter (I used crunchy this time)

           Cream all the ingredients together until frosting consistency (you may have to add 
           more cocoa if it's too wet). Frost cooled cupcakes.


A few disclaimers:
1- Some clean eaters don't believe in fat. I obviously do.
2- Mayo in chocolate cake?? It's been done forever but it might gross some people out. If so, just use all greek yogurt instead.
3- Sorry if you've tried one of my recipes and it didn't work out for you!!! :( Because I make them up (as I go sometimes) the measurements might need some tweakage to accommodate tastes, varied ovens, mixers, etc. By the time I share each one, I've made it at least twice ("successfully") and I post them so that I have a permanent copy of faves online. Good luck!! Email me if things go terribly wrong! (or RIGHT!!)