January 16, 2014

Eat it. Eat the food.

I took pics of the kitchen and dining room today because a) they were both clean and b) maybe I'll leave them alone now? They're simple and sparse but done. We don't need to get any more settled here, all energy vibes must be directed towards finding a house to rent. On this side of town. That's cheap and has no carpet but does have a washer and dryer .... No sweat.

 Here we go:


I've been perusing Pinterest in search of REAL apartment kitchen decor ideas. Not condo kitchens where you're allowed to majorly alter things (cabinet color, spacial layout, etc.) or privately owned spaces that are small but you're rich and your landlord loves you so you can change everything. I mean a run of the mill, every kitchen in the complex matches (oak cabinets, generic linoleum, old appliances), work-with-what-you-got, try to cook here and not feel sad, types of spaces.

I couldn't find much so I went back to my old stand by: contact paper. A much as I love stark white, calm, empty, "grown up" (?) decor, I always come back to bright colors and patterns everywhere so contact paper polka dots happened. I really love them. Probably the best thing is Nap D over my stove for cooking inspiration though.

If I could change this space freals I'd go with: white upper cabinets and a bright color on the lowers (with a lean towards aqua or hot pink). A new light fixture and new cabinet door pulls (technically I could change both now but time + money, not gonna happen). I'd paint the room white and add a small backsplash. Add new counter tops (preferably butcher block) and a deep farm sink (in white) and boom. Roasted.

Dream a little dream.