June 1, 2014

She Reads// Spring Reading

I browsed SkyMall on my trip to UT. That was educational.

///

Spring's been gone and replaced by the sweatiest time of the year for a while now.
It's time to tally up what I read when it was under 100 degrees out:

How to Love (I ripped through this in about 3 hours and really enjoyed it. I don't actually know why because it has all the elements I usually pass on? I think it was the way the sequence of events were revealed, it kept me hooked to the last word.)

Counting By Sevens (Holy moly, this book took me weeks to finish. I kept meaning to just quit and return it to the library, but I liked the characters and story just enough to hold onto it. Overall, I'm glad I persevered. I don't know why I never could just hunker down and get into it though.)

The Art of Wishing (Another fast read I surprised myself by liking. The genie element was interesting and for once it wasn't an overly sexed up YA book #oldlady. Or maybe this falls more into the teen category? I'm not sure officially what the differences between the two are, but if teen books are less graphic and not full of misleading lies cited as "realism" and "humor," I like them more.)

Minding Frankie (Here I gave audio books another shot ... no go. I had some driving coming up so I  downloaded this and listened and listened and listened and listened only to finally admit defeat, check it out, and finish it myself. I just don't like being read to. Never have.)

Wedding Night (Sophie Kinsella! You betrayed me! This book sucked. The end. Ok, not the end: so it started out fine, funny even! but it became way too rambly and got so redundant about halfway through. Huge sadface.)

The Illustrated Mum (I loved this! If you want a short, easy, but also heavy read, I'd go for this one.)

Lean In (Too many thoughts. This book deserves its own post but I feel like so many people have hashed it out already I'll just keep it to my journal and spouting random ideas and stats at Toph. Overall: I'm SO glad I read this. I didn't love or agree with it all, but it made me think about so many things I hadn't before.)

Julie and Julia (Again, glad I read it but what the heck even? I wanted Meryl to come save me from Julie the whole time.)

Muggie Maggie (Some delightfully simple Beverly Cleary to cleanse my palate after the harshness of Julie.)

The Beginning of Everything (Everyone in the world told me this was a fantastic book ... My takeaway: if you took out every penis joke/reference, it would've been a lot shorter. #thatswhatshesaid.)

 ///



Now onto summer reading! I'm using this list and am so excited to try out some new genres and authors.